The Auckland Diocese is divided into regions (shown below). Young people may belong to a parish group within a region or they may belong to an ethnic community or special interest group. Many young people belong to multiple groups.
Each region in the Diocese has one representative: Northland, North Shore, City, Central, West, South and East. Generally, members are nominated by their Deanery for a three year term. This term may be renewed.
Additionally, at any given time we have two or three ethnic community representatives. These two or three positions get rotated amongst the different ethnic communities we have in the Auckland Diocese. Currently we have a representative from the Samoan and Korean Communities. Each representative is appointed for a three year term and when that term has ended it is likely that another ethnic community will have the opportunity to be represented on the Youth Advisory Council.
One of the youth representatives on the Diocesan Pastoral Council also attends the Youth Advisory Council meetings.
The Youth Advisory Council exists:
- To assist the Bishop in determining the vision and strategic direction for youth and young adult ministry in the Auckland Diocese
- To provide advice for the future structure and functioning of youth ministry within the Diocese
- To provide input into determining the services to be provided by any groups contracted to provide youth ministry services
- To provide feedback to contracted groups via meetings.
- To provide advice for future World Youth Day planning
- To provide advice for Diocesan wide events
The Council meets monthly February to December, usually on the second Tuesday of the month.
More information about youth ministry in regions
Sofia Sagato (Fia)Fia is in her second term as the representative for Central Region. She has previously led youth groups and is currently Involved in music ministry at Onehunga Parish.
- Onehunga Parish
- Our Lady of the Assumption
- 97 Galway St, Onehunga
- PH: 09 636 4647
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tongan Lataki at Good Shepherd Parish, Balmoral
- Youth ministry at Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Epsom
- Youth ministry and a parish youth mass at St John Vianney, Hillsborough
- Youth ministry at St Mary's, Mt Albert
- Youth ministry and a parish youth mass at Our Lady of Assumption, Onehunga
- Youth and young adult ministry at Christ the King, Owairaka
- Youth ministry at St Therese, Three Kings
Nigel FernandesRepresenting City, Nigel is one of the leaders of the Jesus Youth Community. He is a parishioner at St Patrick’s Cathedral and works as a business administrator for a Certification Company.
- St Patrick & St Joseph
- 43 Wyndham St, Auckland Central
- PH: 09 303 4509
- Email: email@example.com
- Youth and young adult ministry and a parish youth Mass at Sacred Heart, Ponsonby
- Ethnic Chaplaincy at City Lataki
- Youth Mass at St Patrick's Cathedral
Manu BennettManu represents North Shore and is employed as Youth Co-Ordinator at Glenfield Parish where she works with leaders of youth groups. Manu is passionate about motivating young people in their faith. She has spent many years running youth summer camps and parish-based programmes for children and young adults. She is also a mother of four.
- Glenfield Parish
- St Thomas More
- 336 Wairau Rd, Glenfield
- PH: 09 444 8624
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth ministry at St Joseph's Parish, Takapuna
- Youth ministry at St Mary's Parish, Northcote
- Young adult ministry at St. Thomas More, Glenfield
- Youth ministry at East Coast Bays Parish
Paul LaveaRepresenting the South Region, Paul’s passion has been working with youth since he left school. Paul is from St Joseph’s Otahuhu. He works part-time for PHAB (young people with disabilities) and also works with Pacific people with disabilities – from new born to elderly.
- Otahuhu Parish
- Ss Joseph & Joachim
- 118 Church St, Otahuhu
- PH: 09 276 4759
- Email: email@example.com
- Youth ministry at St Anne’s Parish, Manurewa
- Youth ministry at Holy Cross Parish, Papatoetoe
- Youth ministry at St Addai Parish, Manukau
- Youth ministry at St Mary’s Parish, Papakura
- Ethnic Chaplaincy / South Zone Lataki
- Ta'imua Youth Ministries / Ethnic Chaplaincy
Rachel VazRepresenting West Auckland, Rachel is a youth leader at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Glen Eden. Rachel works as a manager at ASB Bank in the Viaduct.
- Glen Eden Parish
- Our Lady of Lourdes
- 7 Glendale Rd, Glen Eden
- PH: 09 818 6325
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth ministry and youth Mass at Holy Cross Parish, Henderson
- Youth ministry and youth Mass at St Paul's Parish, Massey
- Youth ministry and youth Mass at St Dominic’s Parish, Blockhouse Bay
- Youth ministry at Youth For Christ (West)
- Youth ministry at St Mary of the Immaculate Conception, Avondale
- Youth ministry at St Patricks, Huapai
Ethnic Community Representatives
James ParkRepresenting the Korean Parish. James was the youth group leader in the Korean Parish from 2014-2016, and has previously also been involved in the Parish as a Sunday school teacher, liturgy group member and chorister. James works in the Viaduct as a server administrator for Datacom.
- Korean Parish
- Holy Family
- 28-32 Bishop Dunn Pl, East Tamaki
- PH: 09 273 5501
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.akcc.org.nz
Bronson AerengaRepresenting the Samoan Community, Bronson is a parishioner at St Anthony’s Parish in Mangere.
- Samoan Community
- Maleola Community Centre
- 16 Waokauri Pl, Mangere
- PH: 09275 8657
- Mangere parish
- PH: 09 275 5401
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Diocesan Pastoral Council Representative